Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Technologies in current/future careers

The technologies explored thus far in the course have really opened my eyes to possible uses in my current and future careers. In my present position as an athletic director physical education teacher at Savage Middle School in Modesto I am already planning on how to implement some of the concepts which have been presented. Twitter is an interesting technology in that I can see it as a way to improve the communication and unity among the coaches in my program. I would like to encourage all of my coaches to twitter about game results, field conditions, practice plans, transportation issues, and other information which would be good for a selected group of people to view.

Google Docs is another technology which I believe could really improve and streamline the function of the athletic league to which we belong.
http://www.salidamiddleschool.com/mval.htm We are constantly revising and updating documents relevant to our member schools, which if available for multiple users on this site, could expedite and even eliminate some of the time consuming meetings.

In the future I would like to teach or coach or work in the athletic administration at the collegiate level. I believe it could be very useful to operate a blog specific to my school, team, or program and it could provide a forum for anyone interested to keep up with and discuss and evaluate what is going on. The social networking sites like Facebook could be an effective way of networking within a community of people with common interests and connections.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think it is great that you found so many ways to improve your leagues organization and to find new and exciting to communicate to fans and coaches. Good luck with implementing these new technologies.

hounds23 said...

You are definatly correct in saying that technology can help our teaching and coaching. I like your idea of creating a blog specific to your school or team. This way if there is any information that needs to be given out, students or players can go directly to your blog.

TWright 710 said...

I never really thought about twitter in the way you just explained it. I think I was to worried about it being a homework assignment rather that actually trying to figure out how I could use it. Good Job.

KParodi said...

I agree with you in using a blog for sport or school specific. I think that I could do that do.

kia said...

Can I give your phone number to our AD? She could use some of your ideas...Just kidding, but I think what you are doing is so great. Twitter is a fantastic way to stay connected with each other and I like it now more than I thought I would.

Try wetpaint for the blog, it is very simple and I wrote about it in my blog. This could be very useful for a sports team! Let me know how is goes

Ben Regan said...

When you decide it is time to move up to the University level, during your first interview they are going to be really impressed with the techniques you use to communicate with your staff. I know you will have many ways to improve the University program through the use of technology.