Thursday, May 15, 2008

Social Network Articles Kin 710

These are the articles I examined-

Ferdig, R. E., (Editorial: Examining Social Software in Teacher Education (2007)
Weaver, A. C., & Morrison, B. B., Social Networking (2008)
Bolan, K., Canada, M., & Cullin, R., Web, Library, and Teen Services 2.0


Reading the articles about social media this afternoon has really helped me to understand more about what they really encompass. I am completely overwhelmed when it comes to technology and I have never visited a Facebook or Myspace page other than looking over someone else’s shoulder while they had one open. I found it quite interesting that during the Virginia Tech mass murder university officials and police used conventional radios and telephones as they attempted to manage the incident. Students, however, were quickly e-mailing each other and Facebook was a widely used method for people to let others know what was going on and if they were safe. On another note, I found it quite interesting that legal authorities and school officials have used information on sites such as Facebook as evidence of illegal activities.

Reading about libraries providing video gaming services was a surprise to me. The fact that gaming is considered a literacy activity is not something I fully understand. However, it would appear that something which seems to be extremely inviting for so many young people should be explored as a means of education.

The story about a professor checking a student’s Facebook site and seeing them scantily dressed with multiple people and obviously under the influence of something is exactly the strange and shocking type of occurrence which I believe keeps some people away from exploring the social media available on the web.

10 comments:

kia said...

I never though I would have a Facebook account either. All I hear are horror stories. But it was also nice to hear about the benefits of these sites through the Virgina Tech Shootings. Like mentioned on my blog, gaming was a surprise to me as well.But, social networking is very important and I guess we need to start looking at this in a new light.....

connecticane88 said...

I agree, reading these articles really is an eye opener for what new technology is out there. I also found it funny that videogaming was encouraged by some libraries.

Patriots15 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

As I look over your blog, it is amazing how many ways there are to communicate information to people there is today. I remember just yesterday watching Gordon Gecko talking on his brick phone in the movie Wall Street and being amazed that we had the technology for that and that was back in the mid-80's. Let me stay on topic, I am not sure how gaming is in the realm of literacy. I have watched kids play Madden and GTA 4 and have felt that they needed to read a book not play more. Moreover, with these social networking sites I have heard that companies are now looking at them to see what type of employee they are hiring. The news story went on to say employer were concerned when the sites were set to private. Yet, Rick good summaries of the articles

KParodi said...

Your comment about the teacher looking up a student on facebook and getting an eyeful, is so true. It also works in reverse with students looking up teachers. Are there things that we do as adults that we wouldn't want our students to see? That is one reason why I was hesistant on creating a facebook page.

AS EYE C IT said...

I found it intersting that videogaming so being encouraged by somemany institutions now. It makes me wonder how in the next 10-15 years from now how libraries will change.

I did not want a myspace or a facebook 2 years ago but now that I have both I find them to be useful. At the end of the day people need to be responsible on how the use social networks like these because not everyone lives the way you live.

Agee54 said...

I never would have thought that I would have a Facebook or even a Myspace account. It is a good way to keep in touch with people. Sometimes I feel out of the loop because soo many of my students are in to social networking. Now because of these articles I have a better understnading of how students keep connected.

Valentina Haggard said...

When reading the article on Social Networking, I was taken back by how many subscribers and the age of the subscribers are really out there. I figured only a small percent of adults had a social networking account, wow was I way wrong. It was interesting to find that nearly 17 to 35 year olds are playing on the MySpace, Facebook, etc accounts. In fact I have had Myspace for some time and just recently as you have joined the Facebook, my very first friend request on Facebook was my mother-in-law, whom is in her 50's. It is very interesting how grandparents, parents, and teen are so involved in these social network sites. Sooner or late the main contact for everyone will be the internet, postage stamps will one day be a thing of the past and people will be collecting them.

JT Thiesen said...

I agreed with your comment about how video games would be inviting to kids if they were part of our library set-up. I used to teach middle school and you are part of it now. Do you think this is a good thing for middle school aged kids? Will invite them in but how do you think it will affect the obesity problem we already have. I am struggling with this issue and don't know how to break it down in my head?

Richard Robertson said...

I wonder about the video games and the lack of activity for today's students. I tease them that they would much rather play a video game of a sport than actually go out and do it.